What does that mean to you? What are you doing to achieve it?

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Let's Not Weight...

With two friends (at least) blogging (not bragging) about their weight loss, I figured I would jump on the bandwagon. At least this way, I may stay accountable to my goals.

First I had to start with the goal. Unlike everyone else, I am not setting a pounds goal. That has not proved to be successful or motivating to me. Plus, it just seems so final. Instead, I set a fitness goal. Being an Economics teacher, I knew my goals had to meet the SMART qualifications. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-Bound). So, my initial goal was to improve my cardiovascular health, strength, & flexibility by working out 30-45 min. 4-5 times per week. That was my goal back in April or May, and I was reaching it.

During the summer, I bumped it up to 45-60 min. 5 times per week, and moderate exercise the other 2 days. So how can I measure this? Obviously I can measure the time I spend working out. But I can also measure how long I can do cardio exercise and the intensity level; the increase in weight & reps while lifting; and flexibility, well, I just have to be the judge of that. Although I want to lose weight, I'm hoping for that 'side effect' of working out. Physical fitness really is my goal.

So unlike others, I did not weigh in on my first day working out. I do not weigh in weekly. In fact, I've worked out faithfully all summer, and maybe I'll weigh in at the beginning of the school year. I can tell you that I've worn some clothes that haven't fit for a while. So I guess that will be the measure of weight.

What's keeping me going? I'm building a network of people that like to go to the Y. I'm a wimp about going by myself. Although I will, I don't like to. Robyn got me to sign up, and she's been my weekend warrior partner. I can rely on her for the early morning workouts. She is also great at going later at night. Since I'm free during the day in the summer, Laura has been my daytime partner. She's been great about trying different classes, even sometimes against her will. Although I don't meet up with Lindsey at the Y, she's there all the time and a great inspiration. I admire her will and independence. (I wish I was more like that). So I have to thank these great ladies for being my support!

I'm trying to draw motivation and inspiration from any where I can get it. A week and a half ago, I injured my foot, and it would have been a time to give up. My husband, Jake, encouraged me to try the bike to keep going. So that's what I've had to do the past couple weeks...bike and weights. He's really been my inspiration this week!

For now, that's that. Thanks for all your support! And good luck with your SMART goals!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Which Y do you go to? I'm also re-committing to this effort and trying to go at it in a little different way....like maybe a positive one!! Instead of saying "I'm so fat...blah blah blah"...I'm changing my words and thoughts with the behavior to follow. We aren't getting any younger--why do we wait to feel good about ourselves!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. After a certain age it does seem harder to shed the lbs. I'm sure you will succeed at whatever goal you want to reach. Just keep the pace and make yourself happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi-Fallbrook. It's closest to me. I wish you were up here to be in the Y circle I'm creating :D Someone is always there to motivate. But yeah, I'm losing some weight, but as long as my goal is health, I feel so much better about it and don't beat myself up if I "fail" a day or two.

    Thanks Bernadette!

    ReplyDelete